Friday, November 15, 2013

Humility Through Parenting

DSC06404-001


Twenty-eight years into motherhood and I can't count the ways I have been humbled through this thing called parenting.


Last night was one of those humbling moments for me.


We attended the Harvest Dinner at our church. Everything was beautiful and the food was delicious. The youth, all dressed in classic black and white, did a great job serving.  We listened to beautiful cello and piano music, an historical account of Squanto and the Pilgrims, an amazing testimony of an older gentleman that included his family's escape from Poland when he was a small child and the many events in his life that showed God's loving, protective, miraculous hand. We heard a story of the history of the Swedish Baptist Church in our area and God's leading as it was founded. The evening also included a precious time of reconnecting with people I have known since I was born and some we hadn't seen for several years.


We enjoyed a good visit with special friends before the meal was served. They mentioned how well behaved our children are and they said we are doing a beautiful job raising them. I gazed across the table at our two youngest boys and my heart was smitten again with just how adorable they are. Some of our kids were serving the meal with the youth and I was feeling pretty content with the evening.


Now, I don't for even one minute, pretend to think we have it all together. We are a very real family complete with struggles real families grapple with, but it sure is nice to hear sweet things said about your family, right?


IMG_6300


About this time our youngest son indicated he was finished with his meal and asked if he could come around the table and sit in my lap. "Sure," I replied. With rosy cheeks and sparkling eyes, he hustled around to our side of the table and quickly climbed up into my lap. We sat there snuggling and my friend who was sitting next to me tussled his hair and chatted with him a little.  He shyly responded by burying his head in my shoulder. Just a minute later he whispered "I love you so much, Mommy"  in my ear. I kissed his soft little cheek and said "I love you more!"  He grinned from ear to ear and whispered "Guess what I'm going to do?" "What are you going to do, I asked?"


That's when it happened. He didn't TELL me what he was going to do. He SHOWED me what he was going to do.


He broke wind.


ON MY LAP!


LOUD.


Not just once, but several times and it wasn't benign just because it was loud. OH no....not my boy.


I found myself gasping for breath, growing weak and struggling not to drop him.


When I came to after the explosions, my first concern was for those surrounding us. I'm sure we were instantly engulfed in a visible toxic cloud because my nostrils were inflamed and my vision was clouded.


This little guy had just given the gift that keeps on giving and it was traveling in several different directions at once and at break neck speed.


 I nervously looked around with crimsoned face, (a telltale sign of probable guilt) fully prepared to spring into action providing CPR to possible victims of this deadly gassing.


My mind was whirling.


What happened to my sweet, adorable, SHY little guy?


This wasn't subtle.


It wasn't sweet.


It certainly wasn't shy.....


It was deadly!


Either the folks there all had congested sinuses, or they were very gracious because not one person appeared to even notice.


My little guy didn't even seem to realize that he had nearly killed his mother. He was fully relaxed in my arms and happily listening to the cello and piano playing beautifully from the front of the room as though nothing had even happened.


I was just relieved to be breathing again and that everyone around me appeared to be completely unaffected.


A few minutes later, I excused myself to use the restroom.


When I returned, although the events of the evening were not yet concluded, our entire end of the table had cleared out.....except for our family.


I'm sure it was just a coincidence. However....today in his health class, we will be discussing etiquette in regards to bodily functions.......


Again.


Prayers for this mommy are appreciated.


Thank you.


That is all....unless you all have some embarrassing parenting moments you care to share to help a fellow mom feel a little better.


2 comments :

  1. Wonderfully written account of how God keeps us humble! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Myrna. God is faithful, even in the small things, right? <3

    ReplyDelete