Thursday, January 23, 2014

Flourless Pancake Experiment

10169_379801282121233_2072118188_n

Yesterday I found this recipe through a friend on Facebook.

I am always looking for new recipes and prefer the ones that lean toward Paleo, since our family has gluten issues. The main thing that intrigued me about this one, is that it looked so easy, nutritious and delicious!

I decided to give it a whirl this morning and in the process, made a home run completely out of the ball park with my kids! Yay! Go Team Taft!

We topped them with warm, mixed berries, lightly sweetened with Stevia. The kids loved them that way and they were pretty good, but I decided to spread a little natural peanut butter on top of my second pancake and added a little drizzle of pure maple syrup. I like it better that way, but both ways worked well.

I spread some coconut oil on the griddle first for added flavor and to help avoid possible stickiness.

Flourless Pancakes

One banana, smashed

Two organic eggs

One tablespoon natural peanut butter (not necessary...this was an addition that I added to the recipe because I am a peanut butter freak, which by the way is technically not Paleo).

One tsp. vanilla (also not in the original receipe)

Directions: Smash banana well and add to whipped eggs. Whip up together with a hand mixer if you do not want chunks of banana in your pancakes. Add the rest of the ingredients, if you so choose.

Preheat a griddle to 325 degrees and add your batter.

DSC07963

I cooked the first batch at 350 degrees and the pancakes cooked a little unevenly and were a little overdone.

DSC07964

After the first batch, I turned the heat down and watched them more closely, flipping them as soon as they easily pulled away from the griddle.

They turned out amazing and even the overcooked pancakes were proclaimed delicious by my kids.

DSC07965 DSC07966

The end result with a delicious, nutritious, berry topping!

DSC07967

As a mom of a busy household, these pancakes work very well because the family gets their protein and fruit in one easy all inclusive meal. The only thing lacking is the usual serving of morning greens that I try to sneak in consistently, via a smoothie, or with some eggs and meat, but I'm willing to forgo the greens once a week for this breakfast and surprisingly, not even one of the kids complained about missing those greens. Hmmm......

It's a winner!

No comments :

Post a Comment