Monday, January 13, 2014

Produce Production....and Stewardship

I have bought fresh produce many times over the years with good intentions of actually using it.


Life is so busy and crazy, that many weeks, I haven't had the time to do the chopping and prepping it takes to use all that healthy produce, and it's a shame to have to throw any of it out, simply because time didn't allow for it.


Being a good steward of our finances, home, food and physical bodies is important to me.


As a wife and mom, I take my job seriously. I want my family to have healthy, nutritious meals and snacks, but let's face it.....the healthier the food is, the more preparation it takes to actually get it from the refrigerator to the table.


One day, after throwing out yet another half eaten bag of spinach, I decided enough was enough. Something had to change, so I sat down and did a little re-grouping with my calendar. I asked God for wisdom and a plan and went to work. I pulled every single bit of produce that needed prep work done, out of the fridge. I planned out the week's menu and set to work washing, peeling and chopping. A couple of hours later, all of our produce for the week was ready to go in neat containers in the fridge and my menu for the week was complete.


Now once a week, usually right after grocery shopping, I do all the produce prep work for the week and we don't throw anything out anymore.  Every bit of what I purchase now gets eaten and making meals is much less time consuming and more affordable. I have peace, knowing my family is eating well....getting great nutrition and the organization in my fridge, makes me want to be in there more often. I don't stress over my poor stewardship anymore and pulling out snacks is even easy. Juicing is easy and the fridge stays neat and tidy.


Mondays tend to be my kick off day for produce and meal planning and prepping. I spent a few hours in the kitchen cleaning the refrigerator out, using up all left overs and prepping all the new produce for this week, today.


photo (3)


My older kids are a great help with the younger ones (well, in all honesty, sometimes they need a little encouragement in the "helpful" department) when I'm up to my elbows in produce and can't get there to help.


So Monday, this week, has been a day of re-grouping, organizing, catching up on laundry, tweaking some attitudes, and kicking off the new school week.


I love Mondays. I love them when I feel on top of them. It hasn't always been this way, but over time I have learned the hard way that disorganization is not my friend. It makes life harder and it ruins my motivation.


I made a big, yummy, kale salad with garlic, Dijon, balsamic vinaigrette dressing and Natalie is busy cooking some organic chicken and garlic mashed potatoes to go with it. The house smells so good.


Who says Mondays have to be bad?


photo

2 comments :

  1. Great ideas! I guess you don't find your veggies to go bad quicker when washed and peeled? I need to do better in this area. Just tossed out an eggplant tonight. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi, they get eaten up so fast when they are ready to go that I'm not sure if their shelf life is longer or shorter! :) It is a bummer to have to toss out perfectly good food, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete