Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Why Exercise?

DSC06671

A lot of people tell me they admire us for working out regularly and for our commitment to it.
Many of them disclose a desire to workout, but a frustration at the amount of time it takes from their already "too busy" schedule.

It's true that it takes time to work out. It's also true that we will make time for the things that are important to us. Exercise is important to me.
It's a top priority, so although my life is very full and busy, I make time to fit it in regularly.

Have you ever noticed that the more sedentary your life is, the more tired you feel? On my really active days I feel so much more energetic than on the days I sit a lot.

27fe93f1b416721c2f1b9a9edc6b6c49

Exercise became a top priority for me when I became convicted about taking care of my body.
For me, just knowing my body needs exercise isn't enough. I need a really good "why" behind the fact, so once I became convicted about being a good steward of my body, I needed to research the importance of exercise and what it actually does for my body. I also needed to research the opposite of that; the harm lack of exercise does to the human body.

Here are the ten top reasons to exercise:

Feel more energized
2. Burn more calories at rest
3. Improve overall appearance
4. Be able to withstand stress
5. Decrease risk of illness
6. Speed up recovery from injury or surgery
7. Keep focused
8. Build up cardiovascular endurance
9. Improve flexibility
10. Increase lean body mass

389cf6bead4b6d91e5158f2aa730f18e

Effects due to Lack of Exercise

Weight gain and increased body fat
• Increase risk of dying from coronary heart disease, stroke and hypertension
• Increase risk of developing diabetes
• Increase risk of developing some cancers
• Decreased bone density, muscle mass, and painful joints
• May increase symptoms of anxiety and depression
* Muscle atrophy

If you don't enjoy it, chances are you won't stick with it. This is one of the reasons people give up on exercise. They haven't found an activity or workout program they enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, it becomes a chore. If it's not at least a little bit fun and challenging, the drive to stick to it, diminishes. This is why my husband and I switch up our workouts regularly. We have figured out the type of workouts we enjoy, the amount of time we need to invest and the time of day that works well for us. We are each other's accountability partner, which is also key. If you have someone to motivate and to be motivated by, the chances of sticking to it increase substantially.

I get bored if I do the same thing all the time, so we not only do our workouts regularly, but we set goals to complete a workout program together. After we reach that goal, we choose a new workout program and set goals for that one. We take before, middle and after pictures. We weigh ourselves the first day of a new workout, take our measurements and set goals regarding weight loss, muscle tone, cardiovascular health, etc. When we compare our before and after pictures along with the numbers we recorded in the beginning, we are rewarded with the facts of our progress and this motivates us to continue on. Not only that, but we have the energy we had when we were younger again and that in and of itself is a huge reward!

Right now we are doing a workout program called P90X3. It only takes thirty minutes per day, is short, intense and fun. It's also very effective!

P90X3_COO_thumb

You can see a sample of it by clicking on the link below. Don't let it intimidate you. Even if you are just starting out, you can do this. There is a modifier in the program that can be followed as you build up endurance and strength. It is fast paced, but you can hit the pause button to catch your breath as needed. Believe me, we have hit the pause button on many of our workout programs as we were working on reaching our goals and this one, is no exception. There have been a few times I have been glad I have control of the button.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/showcase/-/bcp/2753168682001/109987?referringRepId=109987

If you are looking for a good workout program, or you need help choosing an activity you know you will stick with and enjoy, you have come to the right place. I love to help people get healthy and fit. You simply have to reach out and ask me. Don't wait. Give your body the gift of health through exercise. It's the only body you have to live in. Take care of it and it will serve you well.

Don't forget that nutrition is extremely important. If you really want to meet your fitness goals, you have to fuel your body with the right nutrients.

Choose organic when possible. Read labels. Cut out that sugar and don't buy into "sugar free" products such as:

Acesulfame potassium, Aspartame, Neotame, Saccharin and Sucralose.

5386_490412124360673_1842291794_n

I wish you a healthy day!

www.janataft.com

6 comments :

  1. Once again, I say thank you for your encouragement! I have just recently started exercising regularly. My husband is my accountability partner, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, Jodi? That's great! Husbands make great accountability partners. When one of us doesn't feel like working out, the other one encourages and motivates and vice versa. What kind of exercise do you guys enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog from the comment section of Good To Be Home. I completely agree with you about exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For now we are walking/jogging. Actually he walks (no running due to an ankle injury years ago), but he walks so fast that I end up jogging to keep up. Last night I jogged on the treadmill. 3/4 of the way through, I yelled for him to come in because I was about to quit. I needed him to talk me through the last .25 mile. We have the first P90X...........but I have only watched it! Maybe we will *try* it, but my goodness it looks tough!
    I have found that I am on a very positive cycle of self talk the last few days. When I exercise, I want to make good food choices so that it is not "wasted". And when I eat right, I want to exercise so that it is not "wasted". Sounds silly, but it is my motivation for now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, thank you for taking the time to stop in and say hello! It's always good to meet others who are on board with fitness. Great to hear from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Way to go, Jodi. :) How cool that you didn't just give in when you felt like giving up and that your husband came in to cheer you on. Sometimes we just need some good moral support to boost us up. :)
    P90X is intense. It is challenging, but anyone really should be able to do it. It does look hard, but don't let that intimidate you. Go slow, make sure your form is correct and don't try to be a rock star. Those are the three keys I went by when I started out. You will probably be pleasantly surprised when you actually do it, how much you are capable of. The beauty of P90X is that it is challenging, which means that once you start, you will struggle, but see progress each week and it isn't boring because your workouts are different each day of the week. It provides muscle confusion so your body doesn't just settle in to a routine, but is constantly being challenged and it works every area of the body. I hope you give it a go. We loved it! I was very over weight and out of shape when we started it and I did it.....and fell in love with it. It is super fun to do with my husband, because he is getting ripped and he encourages me. I lost 44 pounds while doing P90X, eating gluten free, dairy free and grain free with plenty of fruits and veggies in my diet and replacing a meal a day with my beloved shake. :) I'm excited for you! You guys are motivating ME! :)

    ReplyDelete