Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Candy Coated Poison

web-ksekelsky-UCScalendar-2012-final

How about that candy coating, huh? It seems to be virtually everywhere and health nuts like me get mocked and teased because we blow the whistle on poison. Just why do you suppose we are compelled speak out about nutrition and fitness?  I can't speak for my fellow health nuts, but I speak out because I care. I don't mind being mocked. I don't mind if people avoid me. If I can help even one person, to get on a path to better health and quality of life, it makes all the mocking and avoidance worth it. Seriously!

Have you ever noticed how many people are not open to changing their dietary habits, though? Even with warning after warning about the risks to their health.  I talk to people all the time who prefer to let their taste buds rule and it's all about how food tastes, texture etc.  Don't get me wrong....it's important that we find the food we eat to be palatable, but....it is possible to re-train our taste buds/palates if we really want to. I know because by taking baby steps, over time, I did it and so did my family.

Fact: if you candy coat poison, people won't recognize it as poison. In our society today, it's all about convenience and pleasure in so many ways. The art of cooking has been lost to a fast paced, fast food, instant gratification mentality.  With two income households prevalent, or....one income households with mom running kids in different directions for sports activities, music lessons, and other extra curricular engagements, throughout the week, we have lost the art of planning, preparing and consuming meals from scratch.  The health of our society is declining at a rapid pace as well. Cancer, diabetes, autoimmune diseases, mental disorders etc. are on the rise. Why is this?

Many people say they just hate to cook. Others say they don't have time. Still others say they have no interest and they love their fast, processed, sugary foods. They have no desire to give them up.

If I am honest, I will tell you that this mentality is difficult for me to wrap my head around.  Don't get me wrong.....I once loved fast food and all kinds of processed sugary foods, but when my health began to decline as a result of that kind of diet and lack of exercise, it was a no brainer for me. I either changed my dietary habits and started exercising, or I faced sickness that could shave years off of my life and keep me from enjoying my children and grandchildren. I realized that the buck stopped at me....the household grocery shopper, planner of meals and chef. I could either live a life of convenience, or be greatly inconvenienced by disease and possibly an early death with nobody to blame but myself.

People are literally poisoning themselves to death and this poison is in the "food" they consume.  Much of what we find on the grocery isles is straight up poison, candy coated and neatly packaged. It's easy to see it if you want to. Many people just don't want to know. Ignorance is bliss, until they end up on their death bed from a sudden heart attack or stroke, or get that nightmare diagnoses. It's true that people get diseases who eat healthy and exercise regularly too, but the chances of that happening are definitely lowered by a healthy lifestyle.

It saddens me to see people around me who are sick and dying....by choice. They consume soda and/or juice like they should be consuming water and they wonder why they are sluggish. They eat sugar laden sweets every single day and sometimes several times a day. They choose processed chemically laden food for at least one meal a day and fast food, pre-packaged snacks loaded with preservatives, more sugar or even worse, aspartame or sucralose (Splenda) and chemicals. I used to do that too and I was becoming very ill because of it. I was way overweight, sluggish, had brain fog, high blood pressure, high blood sugar and I was on a highway to outright diabetes, possible stroke and/or heart attack all because of the way I was treating my body. I abused my body to the point where it couldn't absorb nutrition. I was literally starving myself with processed foods. As time went on I got rid of white flour, processed sugar and processed foods, but we were still eating too many "healthy" sugary baked goods and pizzas.  One day my husband and I decided it was enough. We were not being responsible with our health. We were setting a very poor example for our children and we were teaching them the same habits. We had created in them a love for poison and we were all slowly poisoning ourselves to death. I began researching and learning about what our bodies needed nutritionally. I began getting creative with vegetable recipes and providing veggie trays or smoothies or fruit and nuts for snacks. No more ice cream, and all of the "healthy junk" that was in our cupboards, fridge and freezer were thrown out.  It was a big change, but it didn't take long for all of us to adjust and to appreciate the effects good food had on our bodies. We began exercising as a family and I made it a point to research nutrition in some way every single day and apply what I learned. We all began to feel better and more energetic. We added in even more support when we began replacing one meal a day with healthy shakes, loaded with over 70 amazing ingredients. This boosted our immune systems and we started to become even healthier.

How about you?  Have you had enough? Are you ready for a change?

I am willing to help if you are willing to invest in your health.  Just leave a comment and we can get started.

Here's to your health! I hope you'll give yourself and your loved ones the gift of a healthier you.

No comments :

Post a Comment