Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Gluten Free, Egg Free, Raisin Cinnamon Rolls

Frosted Flying Apron Cinnamon Rolls

I recently shared about some results of extensive testing I had done last month here: http://nurturingtheheart.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/the-gluten-free-fad-and-me/

I hope that if you haven't already done so, that you will click on the link and read about the results I share because it is my desire to bring awareness in regards to gluten and allergies and the fact that our bodies don't necessarily always alert us to the problem with giant red flags. It's more of a compound effect for many of us....a slow, steady, build up of inflammation inside our bodies over time. It's better to learn early on, than before too much damage is done.

Anyway, I can no longer have eggs, soy or gluten. I have been mostly gluten free for nearly three years, but I did cheat now and then because I didn't think I had much of a problem with it, but I also knew after years of research, that gluten is not my friend and that it isn't a good idea to eat it often. Since I now have to cut out eggs, things are a little more complicated, but they are completely doable. In fact, I am enjoying the challenge to find new breakfast items and ways to bake without eggs.

Last Friday I had my daughter, Brandi and two other precious friends over for coffee and I wanted to make cinnamon rolls.  I found this recipe for them from the Gluten-Free & Vegan BREAD cook book. The author of this cook book, Jennifer Katzinger is the founder of Seattle's Flying Apron Bakery and everything in it meets all criteria for my dietary, as well as most of my family's needs. Click on the pictures to enlarge them and you should be able to see the recipe just fine.  These cinnamon rolls are hearty and filling. They are really pretty simple to make.  Gluten free dough is much harder to work with than regular dough, so I was impressed with how these rolls were made. I didn't even have to roll them out. They were delicious, yet not nearly as sweet as other cinnamon rolls. This is okay with me, since as a result of the damage gluten has done to my body, I am at risk for insulin resistance. I didn't have any parchment paper, but I did have dry wax paper and it worked well.  It is pretty easy to take the paper out of the rolls once they are cut, too.

photo photo (2)-002

I suppose if you like your breads sweeter, you could add more sweetener. I think I may try adding coconut palm sugar next time, or xilytol instead of using pure maple syrup. They glycemic index is lower on the coconut sugar and the xilytol and they can be used exactly like regular sugar. They are sweeter as well.

Unfrosted Cinnamon Rolls, Flying Apron Unfrosted Flying Apron Cinnamon Rolls

I didn't have ingredients in the house to make an actual icing this time, but I did have some cold, canned coconut milk on hand, so we scooped the nice, thick top off of it, and placed it in the mixer with a tsp. of vanilla and some Xilytol to taste. We used the wire whisk and whipped it up. It worked perfectly!

Frosted Flying Apron Cinnamon Rolls

If you want a healthy, hearty, delicious cinnamon roll, I recommend this one!

I had a wonderful time with my daughter and our friends and I think they liked the cinnamon rolls too. :)

DSC08786

No comments :

Post a Comment