Monday, March 3, 2014

Is Gluten Free the Way to Be?

I was always crazy about breads. I love muffins, pancakes, pies, cookies, cakes, donuts and I adore pasta. I can't have these in the forms I always loved anymore, but the good news is that I can still enjoy them in a different form that in most cases is even better.

TGurkish bakery pide bread ramadan

In a recent blog post I shared that I had been to the doctor and undergone a bunch of extensive testing. I also said to stay tuned for the results. Well, the results came back and they are very interesting. I am writing this post to hopefully help raise awareness about several things and one of those is the alleged gluten free “fad” that seems to be on the rise in our society. Over the years I have done extensive research on this subject, or as extensive as I can from a non-professional standpoint. I am here to tell you that it is most definitely NOT a fad and I will explain why in this post.

When our family found it necessary to go gluten free, it astounded me how many people made the comment “well, gluten has never been an issue for me. I can handle gluten just fine. What a bummer for you guys.” This may be a shock to people who know me well, but gluten didn’t bother me either…..other than my inability to lose weight until after I stopped consuming it. Now some of our kids get intensely ill when gluten hits their system and that’s a no brainer, but what people don’t understand is that many people have no idea gluten is wreaking unseen damage inside their bodies. They have no apparent symptoms, so they go on enjoying their baked goods and hot buttery breads without thinking twice about it.  Gluten effects people in different ways. It can cause leaky brain and leaky gut. For some people they will have severe stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea, or IBS.  Some people have mild stomach aches. Others experience brain fog, but they don’t connect the dots. Some people suffer from chronic fatigue and achy joints. Some people suffer from infertility and even miscarriages due to their body’s inability to handle gluten in their system, but they have no idea that gluten is the culprit. Most people don't realize that even Alzheimer's and dementia can be caused by a build up of gluten in their bodies.

I was pretty surprised at the results of all my testing. As it turns out, my body is so intolerant to gluten that the next step is to test me for the autoimmune form of it which is called Celiac. Seriously?  The only symptom I noticed was a struggle to lose weight…..could that really be gluten related?  Well….when you consider that everything in the body systems is connected, the answer is yes.  Gluten has completely inflamed my gut.  Did you know that 80-85% of the immune system resides in the gut? No wonder my ability to fight off bugs has been lacking. With that much inflammation there, is it any wonder? And….my tests showed a hypo thyroid and that I am at risk for insulin resistance and anemia. Because of the damage gluten has caused my body hasn't been able to absorb some important nutrients and iron is one of those. Guess what?  I have absolutely no symptoms whatsoever of an egg or soy allergy either, yet the facts show that I am allergic to both. Who knew?  I sure didn’t. I love eggs. I can’t stand soy, so that’s not an issue, but eggs? Really?  I had no reason to think they were a problem. I actually thought that dairy was an issue….turns out it’s not. So…for those of you who think gluten isn’t a problem? Well, for most people it is, in some form and they have no idea. Just to be on the safe side, we have taken gluten out of our diets completely. My body’s reaction to it is so severe, that I can’t cheat…at all…ever. Period.

Click here for a great explanation of Leaky Gut and Leaky Brain.

All of my cardiac testing came back perfect and the good news about the damage to my gut and the risk for insulin resistance, as well as the thyroid issues I have, is that it is all reversible. With a change in lifestyle (less stress and more rest), change in diet (no cheating at all anymore, with gluten and no more eggs or soy), along with good adrenal support (I have severe adrenal fatigue AKA chronic fatigue, as a result of the inflammation in my body), the damage can be reversed.  I’m on some excellent, natural supplements and my family is helping me with my reactions to stress.

Dr. Peter Osborne, is a leading expert on gluten intolerance and infertility and Celiac Disease.  He works with patients who suffer from infertility and miscarriages and has connected the dots between these issues and gluten. This link is great and will lead to other links on this subject:

I hope this post will help alert people to the truth about inflammation in the body, by raising awareness that your body can be sick without apparent symptoms and that inflammation can usually be reversed, naturally. If we hadn’t caught these problems now, and I continued on inviting gluten (even on rare occasions), eggs and soy into my diet, eventually I would have been at a heightened risk for cancer and other diseases because of the mess in my gut….remember, 80-85% of the immune system resides in the gut. If your gut isn’t healthy, you are not healthy. Fortunately I had changed my diet drastically over the past few years and by doing so had slowed down the damage, but damage was still being done because of my lack of knowledge about what was going on inside me. I’m so glad I had those tests done. It wasn’t painful and it was well worth it.

Stay tuned for gluten free, egg free and soy free recipes! If you are ready to go gluten free, you've got a friend in me.

4 comments :

  1. Yep. Several of us are gluten-free. Leaky gut, it is a very real thing, at our house when we have experienced horrible behavior from a person, we have a private joke... "It's leaky gut!" ; )

    For me? The last time I did an allergy test, Dr. Appleton in her book has a good one you can do yourself on various foods...It was interesting. I am fine with yard eggs but institutional eggs my pulse rises.

    Very good info! It's interesting isn't it?

    One of my subs for making gravy etc. is brown rice flour but Becs cannot have any grains at all right now... It's quite a road to travel but so worth it and it is obtainable. I tell people that food is to keep me alive, I'm not alive to eat. : )

    Blessings to you sweet friend! Love, ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amelia,
    I had no idea your family has gone gluten free. I am aware that your girls are into eating healthy and that they love to be creative in the kitchen, though. :) It's nice to hear from someone who understands what I am talking about! How very interesting about the yard eggs vs. institutional eggs. We buy only organic eggs and as often as possible, we buy them from our friends. I don't know if those would effect me or not. It is really fascinating how God puts our bodies together and how each system is effected by the others.
    I love what you said and I tell my kids that a lot....we eat to live, not the other way around. :) It is a tough road, but it's been a good one. We have learned a lot and God has shown me just how much of an idol food was to me for many years. It's nice to have it torn down and to be able to enjoy food and yet, not be controlled by my cravings. :)
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. You bless me!
    Love and (((hugs))) to you, my sweet friend!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] listening too. It’s not boring, and it is packed with very interesting information. I wrote my own story regarding my health journey and I think you will find it very interesting after you listen to this […]

    ReplyDelete
  4. […] About nine months ago I went into my naturopath and had some testing done. I have shared about that in Is Gluten Free The Way To Be? […]

    ReplyDelete