Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Keeping Holidays Simple

I don't know about everyone else, but it seems to me that the longer I live, the speed of life increases. Is it just me? Am I just getting old.....and unable to keep up anymore, or have the demands of life increased?

When I was younger, I loved to have every day....and especially week-ends and holidays, filled with as many activities as possible. Now, I tend to live for simplicity. I find a greater need for a healthy balance between commitments/parties/activities and quiet days at home.

Over the past few years, we have slowed way down around the holidays and stepped out from underneath the pressure to host big functions....and it's really nice. Now we focus on the reason for the holiday and celebrate in simplicity.  For Easter this year we went to the Good Friday service at church and it was really special. Remembering Jesus death and resurrection is what it is all about for us and it was such a blessing to celebrate with fellow believers, worship in song and take communion together in remembrance of what our Savior did for us. On the way home we sang Easter hymns and worship songs as a family. On Easter Sunday we attended church in the morning and again, it was wonderful to celebrate the real reason for Easter; Jesus death and resurrection. After church I made a big pot of gluten free, organic spaghetti loaded with veggies and nitrate free Italian sausage. Our daughter made gluten free donuts the day before and that was our Easter dinner.....spaghetti, with donuts and coffee for dessert. It was simple. It was nutritious. It was delicious and it freed me up from all the extra work a more detailed meal would demand. I got to enjoy a little egg hunt with the kids and grandkids because I wasn't busy in the kitchen the whole day. I got to color with my granddaughter and play with my grandson and visit with the grown ups. It was perfect.

And....I got to don my paparazzi hat!

I accidentally added these pictures a little out of order.....so the first few were taken after the hunt and the rest were during the hunt. Oh well.... I'm pulling the grandma card. I can do that! There are fifteen reasons, between my kids and grandblessings, as to why I might be just a little confused and backwards. :)

DSC09163   DSC09159

DSC09158   DSC09157

DSC09151   DSC09150

 

DSC09145  DSC09146

DSC09141  DSC09139

DSC09137  DSC09135

DSC09134  DSC09133

DSC09132  DSC09131

DSC09126  DSC09125

DSC09124  DSC09121

DSC09119

DSC09118  DSC09116

DSC09109  DSC09108

DSC09106  DSC09105-001

DSC09101 DSC09098

DSC09093

If you find that you aren't enjoying the holidays or you are losing the focus of what the holiday is all about, I encourage you to consider simplifying things. It's well worth it. :)

5 comments :

  1. as always, wonderful blog and you hit the nail on the head...i am thinking right now how easy it is for me to become crazy making, just doing a simple thing. thank's for posting...love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jana, I cannot say AMEN enough! Bravissimo!!!!

    I always say: "K.I.S.S. Keep it simple sweetie!" ~Dr. Raymond and Dorothy Moore

    I'm so with you on this! Fantastic thoughts. Fantastic. I hope other mommies and grand-mommies will take note. You got it right on the money, and oh wow, will your children and grandchildren one day thank God for a precious sweet mommy and grandma.

    xxoo ~amelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, thank you. :) Haha, you always make me smile and laugh! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amelia, thank you. :) It's funny how that K.I.S.S. acronym has become more of a life motto lately. :) Love it! I think you and I are on the same page a lot.....and I appreciate you and your posts so much! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amelia,
    I just wanted to let you know that I revamped my blog, gave it a new name and it now has a new address. Please remember to update it in your blog feed. I don't want to lose touch again! (((hugs)))
    Jana

    ReplyDelete