Tuesday, November 25, 2014

True Confessions of a Slow Thyroid

About nine months ago I went into my naturopath and had some testing done. I have shared about that in Is Gluten Free The Way To Be?

It's been a tough road back to health and I still have a long way to go. My thyroid is so sluggish that just looking at food seems to invite it take up permanent residence in my body in the form of extra pounds. Gaining weight, after working so hard to lose it, is frustrating. Over the past several months, even though I have been exercising and keeping gluten out of my body, I have gained over twenty pounds.

This has to stop, but I've been at a loss as to how. I've been praying about it because if I have a plan of action, I will succeed. I just need a plan.

Fermented foods and bone broth keep coming up on my radar, so I've been paying more attention to them. I also came across this article the other day that explains the benefits of intermittent fasting and this short video about balancing hormones to help with adrenal fatigue, thyroid etc.

After a lot of prayer and research, I have come to a conclusion that a combination of intermittent fasting, regular exercise, and the foods mentioned in the video, along with some fermented foods, are the perfect plan for my body to get back on track. I'm also looking into essential oils for some extra help.

I kicked off these changes over the weekend beginning with a twenty-four hour fast from solid food and started out Sunday morning with a hot mug of turkey bone broth. Bone broth is full of great health benefits and specifically helpful in the areas my body needs to heal in. It is so rich in nutrition that one mug of home made turkey bone broth consumed at 8:30 in the morning kept me going until 4:00 in the afternoon. I went to church, grocery shopping at three different stores, gassed up the car, picked up kids from a Bible study and transported them to their house, before bringing my own kids home, unloaded groceries and was just beginning to really feel hungry. I made carrot/apple/orange/ginger/garlic juice. Juicing also has incredible health benefits. At 4:30, I broke the liquid fast with a big organic salad, packed with delicious veggies and some black beans. I topped it with Thrive corn and peas for a delicious, nutritious, crunch and made an olive oil balsamic vinegar dressing. Later on we had Shakeology for dinner. That night I slept the best I have in years, so I think I'm on to something here! Yesterday I did the same thing for breakfast. I had turkey bone broth for breakfast and then juiced the same juice concoction. Later on I had a big, taco salad with a couple of corn tortillas with grass fed beef taco meat for lunch. I had plain Greek yogurt with organic berries, Thrive bananas, Thrive Dairy Bites, a few walnuts,and chia seeds and for dinner we had Shakeology again.

This morning I was down two pounds. This is the first time I've seen the scale budge in the down direction in a very long time. WAHOO!!!!

My plan is to post my journey here so be watching for upcoming posts, if you are interested and if you are inclined to do so, please keep me in your prayers. With the damage gluten did to my gut, my immune system is compromised and I have been sick for the past month. I get over one thing and before it's even completely out of my system, another bug takes up residence. It hasn't flattened me, but it certainly has slowed me down and I don't feel my best.

Proverbs 3:5-7 is my life verse. I know that when I am confused, or lacking wisdom and direction, I need to go to God. He is always faithful to provide that direction when we ask.  And He has been faithful to give me direction again. Now I just need prayer for strength and self control, to apply it and stick with it.

Proverbs 3 5 6

James 1:5 says "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

1 comment :

  1. […] I wrote this post about thyroid issues I have been experiencing. Since then, I have been doing a lot of research, […]

    ReplyDelete