Sunday, May 10, 2015

Celebrating My Blessings



 
My beautiful Mama
 
 
I loved what a friend said about this picture
"Four generations of the same face"

 
Our seven amazing blessings
It's difficult to get us all together since our older daughters are busy with families of their own, so this is an older picture of our kids. They have grown and changed significantly in the three and a half years since this was taken, but I still love it!
 
 
 
I always wanted a big family.
Little did I realize just how much stretching and growing this thing called motherhood, would do in my heart, in my attitudes, in my character, in revealing the glaring reality of my inadequacies, control issues, and overwhelming selfishness. It has at times, felt like although I'm supposedly the one raising these kids, they are actually the ones raising me. The lessons I have learned (and am still learning) are invaluable. I wouldn't change anything. God has used them to see my need for Him. Parenting is not a job for the faint at heart and it's not something I can do without pressing into Him for strength when I am weak, for forgiveness and comfort when my insufficiency is staring me in the face, and for joy in the midst of struggles when I am lacking in sleep and physical strength.
This family is a gift of indescribable magnitude in ways I'm not even fully aware of, and I wouldn't change a thing.
 
All these familiar and sweet faces make my heart smile in gratitude for the many wonderful memories we have made, the love, the laughter, the struggles, and the victories we have experienced together. 

 
 On this Mother's Day, I not only celebrate my own Mom, our kids, and our grandblessings, but I celebrate my best friend and the love of my life. He loves babies, is an excellent father takes amazing care of this family, working hard to provide, guide, and protect us, not to mention his hilarious sense of humor that has lightened up many otherwise challenging moments.
I love this picture of the two of us, holding our newest granddaughter, a couple of months ago.
 
 
He took some of the boys out and they picked out these beautiful flowers for me. They wrote me the sweetest card for Mother's Day. I feel honored, cherished and so blessed.


 



 
This amazing family of mine asked me what I wanted for dinner today.
 Last night we barbecued together and our sixteen year old daughter made the delicious mashed potatoes. There's nothing like it....when your kids can whip up a delicious meal without your help. All the years of teaching and overseeing really pay off!


The kids pooled their money and bought shrimp for a tasty, shrimp salad after church today.

 
It was such a treat!
 
 

For all of my readers (assuming there are a few), you may have noticed that I have a brand new blog with a fresh design.
Thanks so much to my thoughtful daughter Christine and fellow blogger. She knows how much I love to blog and understands how much more joy it brings to me to have a blog design that truly depicts who I am and my personal tastes, so for Mother's Day, she imported all of my posts from my old blog, and hired Eve to custom design it.  It's not completely finished yet, but I love it! Thanks so much Christine! What an awesome gift, and thank you, Eve. You have done a fantastic job, capturing my personality and the vision I have for Nurturing the Heart. Eve used some of my own photography in the header on either side of the heart, which makes it that much more "my own!"
 
Please note the new address, and if you are so inclined to follow me, I would be honored! On the right side of this blog, there is a "follow me" or "join" button. Just click it and thank you so much to those who choose to do so.  :)
 
I leave you with this beautiful song by Keith and Kristyn Getty in honor of Mother's Day. Be sure to pause the music at the top of the page before you play this video.
 
 
 

4 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness Jana, what a beautiful blog entry. I was enjoying the music you had playing on your blog and then the video and song...it really touched my heart. How time flies...And how our children fly too! : )

    I loved seeing your pics, your mom, yes; what a family resemblance!

    I was also noticing the pic of you holding your baby-grandbaby...Your arms Jana, they are gentle but strong. Beautiful. Loving arms.

    xo amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amelia!
    I was pleasantly surprised to see your comment this morning. Thank you for your kind words and for stopping in to read and say hello. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. <3
    I hope you had an amazing Mother's Day yesterday. You are one of my favorite home school moms!
    (((hugs))) to you,
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a nice post. it is so nice to see you are appreciate at such a young day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for stopping in and saying hello. :)

      Delete