Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Fighting to Win

 
Today I worked out. And today I am fighting discouragement.
 
It's time to get really real here, because I need to know I have a support system and I want to encourage others to get real too. We all need to give and receive support and encouragement to keep on going when things look bleak.
 
 
So, here's the deal.
 
I've been faithful with exercise. I haven't eaten flour of any kind in months, other than an occasional gluten free sandwich here and there or some gluten free French toast topped with organic berries.  I eat flour/bread maybe once a week......at the very most and only gluten free. I avoid starchy veggies and foods, and I've had sugar, maybe twice since December. And when I say I haven't eaten sugar, I mean I haven't eaten it in any form....no honey, no pure maple syrup, no organic sugar. The only sugars I eat are in fruit and I even limit that to mixed organic berries and half of a banana each day. I am very active every day.
 
 In other words, I have been diligent with my diet and exercise.
So....why is my scale going up again?
 
It's a tough battle.
 
A battle to stay focused on my "why." 
 
Why do I eat healthy? Why do I exercise? Why do I avoid gluten, sugar, soy, and processed foods?
 
I only have this body to live in. If I treat it well, I feel better. I know this is true. It's not only about losing weight, but when I am at a weight that's uncomfortable for me, it zaps me of energy and quite frankly getting dressed in the morning becomes depressing.
Overall I feel pretty well, but the extra weight gain is ridiculously discouraging. I started eating according to the Trim Healthy Mama plan a few months ago, and this week I'm doing a fuel pull week and praying it is effective. If it is, I'll do this for several weeks in a row until my metabolism gets the message. Living with a slow thyroid is no walk in the park. Let me tell you!  At least I don't have some of the extreme symptoms, and it's reversible. I just want to see the reversible thing start to kick in. :) 
Trim Healthy Mama is a great program. Women with the same health issues I battle have had victory on this program, so I know it's a matter of figuring out how to make it work for me. The food is delicious, easy to prepare and healthy, not to mention affordable. Initially the scale stopped going up. Recently, though.....it climbed four pounds again.  I sat down and did an honest reality check with myself. I have to be honest about my choices or I'll never win this battle.  So.....I did splurge on Sunday when the kids bought Fritos and made chili boats for Mother's Day. Any time I have anything with a high sodium content, the scale let's me know it's a bad idea, so it's probable that the Fritos were the culprit which spiked the numbers on the scale. I also made gluten free cheese cakes for the Ladies night, and I had a little more than my share, so between that and the Fritos, I'm pretty sure I know why the scale was "in my face" with the reality of my choices.
 
I'm thinking maybe I haven't switched up the types of THM meals enough, as well and it's not helping my hypo thyroid to improve at this rate.
 
 James 1:5 says "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." So, I have asked the Lord for wisdom, and I'm praying that doing the fuel pull will help those stubborn pounds to start slipping away.
 
I will not quit!
 
Whether or not I lose weight, will not deter me from exercising and eating right.

 
I love how I feel after a good workout. I feel energized and I love a workout program that involves muscle confusion because it never gets old. Since I do a different workout every day of the week, my body doesn't get "used to" it and therefore stop improving.
 
P90X3 has been by far the best and most doable program of this type, that I have ever done. It's short (30 minutes a day) and I have seen some vast improvements in my balancing abilities, stamina, core strength, healing in my back, and my ability to enjoy other things such as hiking, swimming, etc. It doesn't matter how high the scale climbs.....quitting my workouts is not an option.
 
As you can see on the chart below, the workouts are full of variety and this makes it much more enjoyable to me, knowing that it's something new each time I "push play."

 
So I'm experiencing some discouragement today, but I'll keep getting up, choosing healthy foods, exercising, drinking plenty of water, and I'll keep on enjoying the benefits of those choices.
Hopefully I'll be able to write a post in a few weeks that is full of encouraging news of a decrease in numbers on the scale.
 
For now, I just want to encourage others to not give up.
 
Your body is the only body you have to live in and taking care of it is key to quality of living. Be honest about your choices and make changes where needed. Treat it well, even if it doesn't seem to make a difference. It will pay off. Just as it has for me. I may not be getting slimmer (yet), but my health is much better than it was a few years ago. No more pre-hypertension, no more blood sugar issues, my sleep is better, my back is MUCH better, and I know that if I keep making healthy choices, the rest will get better too.
 
                                       
"But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." I Corinthians 9:27
 
Today has been a day of excellent choices, as was yesterday. It's a new week and we started it off with a new plan, so I wasn't expecting the discouragement I have battled today. It's all good, though and I know that God will guide me and give me the wisdom I need to make the necessary changes to help this body heal.
 
If anyone else is struggling with this, hang in there and keep putting one foot in front of the other. I'll be right there with you! And please.....leave me a comment. We can help encourage each other. I know I'm not alone in this.
 
Sleep well and remember....
 
Tomorrow is a new beginning.
 
                Blessings to you,                    

4 comments :

  1. Weight can be so frustrating! I lost a ton of weight after Solomon was born by following Trim Healthy Mama. I was amazed! I started getting lazy about it this winter though and am going back to following THM more strictly to drop some weight again. (I lost 5 lbs. in one week by just using the Fat Stripping Frappa drink for lunch.)
    Remember Anne of Green Gables: "tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Your comment encouraged me. :) I have had the Fat Stripping Frappa once and really liked it. I'll have to try that for lunch as you suggested. Thanks! I'm glad you are back on the losing side again and praying I'll start to experience some great results soon, too. Love the Anne quote! :)

      Delete
  2. I like your "up again and take another" attitude, Jana! Losing weight is only one reason for eating, drinking, sleeping, exercising for optimal health! Good for you!! ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Myrna! Yes, it's not really about looking better, but about getting healthier, although looking better is definitely a benefit I'll take! :)

      Delete