Sunday, February 14, 2016

Wonder Woman Just Hit a Wall

I hit a wall a couple of days ago. Apparently I should pay better attention to where I'm going and the speed at which I'm flying.  I didn't even see the wall until BAM! 
 
I'm still trying to get back up.
 
I'm sure you  are familiar with the wall of exhaustion. I am all too familiar with it, but sometimes I forget to use caution.  It can creep up on you with very little warning. You're cruising along doing life. You add in a few extra activities out of necessity, and a few more just for fun.  The next thing you know, you are too tired to make a simple decision about dinner, and the water works have been opened up and won't stop gushing. That's where I found myself this weekend.  The sad truth is that I should know better.  I know the warning signals but I missed them....again.
 

As moms, we are on call from sun up to sunset.  I've been doing this gig called motherhood for over thirty years, and it's the best career I could have chosen. I LOVE my job! I enjoy my family. I'm grateful that God chose me to be his wife and their mom.  I love being a nama. I love that I have all those gorgeous grandbabies to love and hug on.  I want to do the myriad of activities that are heaped on my plate. I love working up at the school my kids attend two days a week.  I love directing the junior high/high school choir there. I love helping out in the choir my younger boys are involved in.  I love attending church on Wednesday night as a family. I love Gleaners.  I love all of the activities surrounding our home and our kids. I love helping our kids stay on top of their school work, overseeing their piano lessons, taking them to a plethora of activities, and helping them sort out "life." I love spending time with my husband, cooking for him, cleaning for our family, and doing things we enjoy together. I love having our grandblessings over. I love visiting them, and taking one or two of them overnight periodically. I love singing on worship teams and photography, and cooking, and writing, and the Titus Two ministry through out church. I love exercising. I love hospitality. I love people.
 
 
Sometimes I think I'm Wonder Woman and can do it all, all the time.....and then reality hits and I found out that yes, people wonder about "that woman," 
 
 
 
So, this week-end life came skidding to a screeching halt. By the time Thursday came to an end, I was fried, as in "put a fork in me I am done" kind of fried.  I couldn't think. I couldn't function. I couldn't even decide what to make for meals although I had carefully created menus and loaded up the refrigerator and freezer with a variety of fresh produce and stocked the cupboards with plenty of ingredients for healthy, delicious meals the day before. Yes, I was that far gone.
 
 
 
Something beautiful happened on Friday. I asked for strength and God provided supernatural fuel for my tank that allowed me to care for my youngest son who had developed a fever and a headache,make it through chores, home schooling, laundry, and driving two of my teens down to take their drivers permit tests. When we arrived home, my knight in shining armor swooped in and whisked me away at exactly 5:15 p.m. He took me to a quaint little town about a half hour away where we held hands, walked along the street, enjoyed some window shopping in the sweet little shops the town is famous for, and after gaining a little momentum from the fresh air and exercise, he guided me back down the street to a sweet little restaurant on the water. Candle light, fresh King Salmon, hot coffee, beautifully prepared vegetables, and time alone with my man. This was the first shot in the arm the Lord provided to help pull me up out of my state of exhaustion. God knew I needed to be pampered and cherished and he prompted my hubby to take care of me in a sweet, wonderful, way.
 
 
The next morning, I woke up crying. When I am over tired my body's physical reaction manifests itself in tears. It's so embarrassing. Especially when you have agreed to be the "Titus Two" mom at the table for the lady's breakfast at your church. If that wasn't the case, I probably would have skipped the breakfast and stayed home to rest, but I showered and got myself out the door and to the church, fully dressed, hair done, accessorized with tears and all and I'm so glad I did because God showed up at that breakfast. He met me right there with a cup full of refreshment through the message, worship, and fellowship with other moms and grandmas of all ages. And the best part?  I wasn't the only one with water works going on. That place was flooded! There were eighty women there and we laughed, we cried, we shared, and we listened to God's plan and mission for women as He has mapped out for us in the book of Titus, in chapter two.  Our pastor courageously shared an excellent, balanced, beautiful, encouraging message from Titus Two, to a room packed with women, and a beautiful sister in Christ shared her testimony. It's incredible how you can be so physically wiped out, and somehow find energy to enjoy and even bask in a room full of women, although you thought that what you needed was to simply be alone to rest. Sometimes God uses quiet and sleep to refuel us, but sometimes the fuel He adds to our depleted tanks is something even more powerful.
 
Sisters, we need each other. We need to encourage, uplift, counsel, listen, and share our gifts, time, and talents with one another. I am so grateful for all of my sisters in Christ. God used them mightily to fill a very, empty, tank. Later on that day, after a much needed nap, my husband and I attended a surprise birthday party for a dear friend. More of my sweet sisters and my second oldest daughter, son-in-law, and our youngest grandson were there as well. We laughed more, we shared memories, we cried some, ate a delicious dinner, and I got to snuggle with my sweet little grandson. Physically, I am still catching up, but God knew the perfect fuel to soothe my soul was fellowship and relaxation with my sisters and my husband. Today has been a beautiful day of rest at home with my family.
 
We live in these bodies that limit us. God doesn't allow us the capability to do more than He has planned for us. It's important to take the time to ask God for direction each day, and to remember that He created us to need rest, fellowship, healthy food, spiritual food, exercise, and relationship. He created us to serve others as well, but it's easy to drive ourselves too hard without even realizing we are doing it.  Take time to rest. Take time to pray, mediate on scripture, and to share and care with your husband and other women. We fuel the tanks of our children daily, all day long.  It's okay and necessary to make sure you are stopping to gas up on some good fuel for your own tank as well. God created  you to need it!
 
Genesis 2:2-3 And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.
Matthew 11:28-29 “…Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” 



4 comments :

  1. This was a really good post! I love the part about your knight in shining armor. That's so sweet! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tabby! He definitely filled the role well that night. It really was very sweet. <3 :) It's always good to hear from you!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this, Jana!! You are a wonderful writer!! So glad God is faithful as He took care to bring you a refreshed mind and spirit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah! It's good to hear from you, and thank you. His faithfulness and love never cease to amaze me! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. (((hugs)))

      Delete